Message #170 From: AzTeC SW Archaeology SIG To: "'Matthias Giessler'" Date: Mon, 18 May 1988 Subject: Lewis Hall Passes Dawson Allen "Doc" Campbell Passes [ AzTeC / SWA SASIG ] : From: Anita Cohen-Williams firstname.lastname@example.org Lewis Hall -- Lewis will be sorely missed by those of us who knew him and his goal to rebuild the Tucson presidio (or at least parts of it). Lewis helped found the descendants' of the presidio group and put together commemorations to celebrate Tucson's birthday. From: Suzanne Jamison Sznjmsn@aol.com Dawson Allen "Doc" Campbell -- Silver City Daily Press, Tuesday, May 12, 1998 Silver City, NM CAMPBELL: Dawson Allen "Doc" Campbell, 85, of Gila Hot Springs passed away Monday, May 11, at home surrounded by his family and under the care of Gila Regional Hospice. He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Ida Foster Campbell; his daughter, Ysabel, and husband, Paul Luecke; son, Allen, and wife, Carla; son, Angus, and wife, Kathleen; daughter, Rebecca, and husband, David Snow; three grandchildren, Kristina Lopez, and Nathan and Kyle Campbell; a sister-in-law, Alice Hill, and husband, Jack, of Silver City; a brother, Rayburn Campbell of New Wilmington, Pa.; and an extensive family in the New Wilmington area. The Campbell family is planning a memorial service at the Gila Hot Springs in the near future. He was born Dec. 5, 1912, in Mercer County, Pa., on a family farm to Thomas Bruce and Ethel Davis Campbell. He was nicknamed "Doc" at an early age by his step-grandfather. Mr. Campbell's father was a foundryman, working in various steel companies in Pennsylvania, Illinois and New York state, so the family moved often and the children attended quite a few schools. Summers were spent at his grandparents' farm near New Wilmington, in western Pennsylvania. Because of chronic sinus trouble, he came to the Southwest in 1929, when he was 16 years old. He landed in El Paso, Texas, heard of Silver City and came to this area. He lived in Pinos Altos for a short time, working for Frank Eaton, mainly chauffeuring him. Eaton had never learned to drive. While in Pinos Altos, Mr. Campbell met Jack Jeffers, who was visiting Eaton. He was intrigued by Jeffers' description of the Upper Gila country, and, after Thanksgiving, went out with Jeffers to Alum Camp. This was on the main Gila and three miles below Gila Hot Springs. Mr. Campbell camped out during the winter until he went to work for Margaret Scholl at the Gila Hot Springs. She was part owner of the hot springs, in partnership with Leslie Fleming and his wife, Bobbie. Mr. Campbell's job was to pack in on mules everything and anything needed, from the Goforth Place where the road ended, a site now the Gila River Ranch. He learned, rapidly, the art of packing. Mr. Campbell next worked for Hugh Hodge at the XSX to help put up a load of hay, and worked there from 1931-35, first as ranch hand and later as foreman. During the summers of 1936 and 1937, he was employed by the Forest Service at the White Creek Ranger Station and Little Creek Fire Cabin as a firefighter. After Hugh Hodge's death in the fall of 1937, Mr. Campbell went back to the XSX, as general manager for Mrs. Hodge, until he bought the Gila Hot Springs from the Flemings in February 1940. In November 1940, Mr. Campbell married Ida Foster in Hollywood, Calif., where the family was living at the time. The Campbells made their home at Gila Hot Springs. He was appointed custodian of the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument by the southwest regional director of the National Park Service at $12 a year. From 1942 to 1962, he worked as custodian, park ranger, and acting superintendent at the cliff dwellings until he retired. From 1940 on, his main business was packing, guiding and outfitting. His four children helped him, as each became old enough, and each ran the outfit in turn. The youngest, "Becky" Snow, now owns and runs the business. In 1964, Doc Campbell's Post and trailer park were opened for business at the same time that the new recreation road, approved by Congress, was built as far as Little Creek, one mile beyond the store. The road was completed to the cliff dwellings and the Visitor Center by 1966. Mr. Campbell was one of the charter members of the Southwestern Resource Conservation and Development Council, now called the Black Range RC&D Council. He was a trustee of the New Mexico Coordinating Council at Las Cruces, and one of the founders of the New Mexico Guides and Outfitters Association. Entrusted to the care of Baca's Funeral Chapels, U.S. 180 East at Delk Drive. Phone 388-2334.