Message #351: From: AzTeC SW Archaeology SIG To: "'Matthias Giessler'" Subject: Vermillion Accord on Human Remains Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 09:37:00 MST Encoding: 28 TEXT From: Michael Pfeiffer The Vermillion Accord on Human Remains
The text can be found on the World Archaeological Congress web site at: http://avebury.arch.soton.ac.uk:80/wac/ethics/vermillion.accord.html http://avebury.arch.soton.ac.uk:80/wac/contents.html
- Respect for the mortal remains of the dead shall be accorded to all, irrespective of origin, race, religion, nationality, custom and tradition.
- Respect for the wishes of the dead concerning disposition shall be accorded whenever possible, reasonable and lawful, when they are known or can be reasonably inferred.
- Respect for the wishes of the local community and of relatives or guardians of the dead shall be accorded whenever possible, reasonable and lawful.
- Respect for the scientific research value of skeletal, mummified and other human remains (including fossil hominids) shall be accorded when such value is demonstrated to exist.
- Agreement on the disposition of fossil, skeletal, mummified and other remains shall be reached by negotiation on the basis of mutual respect for the legitimate concerns of communities for the proper disposition of their ancestors, as well as the legitimate concerns of science and education.
- The express recognition that the concerns of various ethnic groups, as well as those of science are legitimate and to be respected, will permit acceptable agreements to be reached and honoured.